Ir al contenido principal

 



ROSA GALLEMÍ BALAGUÉ-ANTONIO PUIG/FLAMAGAS SA - FLAMASATS SA-CLIPPER - JOSEP Mª PUIG PLANAS - MARC PUIG GUASCH - MANUEL PUIG ROCHA - XAVIER PUIG ALSINA

This Blog aims to explain to the public opinion, apart from some personal aspects of my own long life, my relationship with the Puig family, owners of dozens of companies, including Antonio Puig S.A. and Flamagas S.A. (Flamasats S.A.) among others. I hope that before I lose my memory and my departure, society finds out about the reality and origins of the Puig family, thanks to my relationships with them, especially at the beginning of their career. I was born more than 102 years ago in Santa Eulalia, Sant Andreu del Palomar, Barcelona. At that time, this entire area consisted mainly of crop fields, vineyards and farmhouses. My paternal grandparents had fields of vineyards and ran a Butcher and Groceries up the Rambla de Santa Eulalia and I remember the great affection they had for me, being the first girl in the family. Likewise, my uncles, Francisco Castelló Carreras and Elisa Balagué Sans, who, having no children, always treated me like their own daughter. My uncle was a first cousin of Antonio Puig Castelló, founder of the current Puig group, and was married to his half-sister, Elisa. This was due to the fact that my maternal grandfather Joan Balagué, a Mechanical Engineer, died in Mérida de Yucatan in May 1900, where he is buried and in that region of Mexico he had crop fields and silver mines. When my maternal grandmother Roser Sans Andreu became a widower, she returned with all her children to Barcelona and remarried Ramón Castelló Carreras, father of Francisco and with the same last name, which is why he met my aunt Elisa, his stepsister, and in this way they married in El Guinardo, where my grandmother had her residence in the tower on Calle del Art nº 98, a farm next to where Flamagas started after a few years and a house that my grandmother acquired after doing the Americas, since she returned to Barcelona with an important fortune. Later she opened a wig and hairpiece business on Paseo de Sant Joan in Barcelona, ​​regularly traveling to the Philippines to buy the raw material. As we can see, my grandparents were more than entrepreneurs, since we are talking about more than a century ago, times when a trip to Asia or America lasted long weeks.





Sant Andreu del Palomar


                                                                             Santa Eulalia

I enclose photos of the newspaper of Merida de Yucatan, Mexico from 1900 where the obituary of my grandfather Joan Balagué is published


                                     


                                      



Mérida de Yucatan

              

                                                       MY YOUTH AND THE CIVIL WAR


I studied Primary at the Colegio de las Monjas Dominicas de Santa Eulalia and in the 1930s I studied Baccalaureate at the Institut Escola de la Generalitat de Catalunya, with Conseller Ventura Gassol being one of its main promoters and the Director being the great pedagogue Dr. Josep Estalella i Graells. This institution was a true novelty in the way of teaching, as soon as we followed the classes in the nearby parks in the middle of nature, as we received visits from President Maciá. The classes were mixed, just like the colonies and the girls could attend wearing pants, something absolutely revolutionary at the time. It was one of the happiest stages of my life, until the Civil War of 1936 came and unfortunately it was closed in 1939 by the new regime.


                               

                                           High School Institute of Barcelona


                              

                                              Mixed class at the Institute Escola


                                               

 Reading session with Dr. Estalella in the heart of Montseny nature



                                 

                                                       Institut Escola Visit to Rubi      


                                  

                                         Institut Escola visit to Castellfullit de la Roca

                        

Everything was broken when the war came and I could not continue my higher studies, like most of my generation. Fortunately, during the conflict, thanks to the fact that my grandfather Joan Gallemí and paternal uncle Pere Gallemí worked at the Farinera de Sant Andreu, we did not lack food. We were also very lucky with the bombing of Barcelona in March 1938. We were with my father walking through the Plaza de Catalunya and all of a sudden the alarms sounded and bombs began to rain from the sky launched by Mussolini's Italian planes. My father and I began to run like crazy and we separated in the middle of the confusion and until nightfall we did not manage to find each other at home, luckily healthy and alive, unfortunately about 1000 people and more than 100 children died brutally. From this terrible experience my period was withdrawn for months. I also remember that we enjoyed the company of Mossen Pere from the Parish of Sta. Eulalia and during the worst months of the burning of churches at the beginning of the war.


                                          

                                                 


                                        Bombing of Barcelona in March 38 by italian planes


                  WAR FACTORY No. 7 OF THE GENERALITAT DE CATALUNYA


As soon as the Civil War began, the workers themselves in many cases and the Generalitat de Catalunya in the rest, began to collectivize and appropriate the most important industries in the country, 15 in total within the War Industries Commission of the Generalitat, being one of them of my uncle Francesc Castelló Carreras, cousin brother as I mentioned of Antonio Puig Castelló. The latter, like other companies, was obliged to pay a "revolutionary tax" and himself complained in a letter addressed to the Generalitat, about the frequent visits he received from the militiamen to collect the revolutionary tax. For this reason and in view of the events, Antonio Puig asked my parents and me to go to live and watch over his estate in Sant Genis de Vilassar, which we did unconsciously, due to the danger it represented and in this way take care of it from possible visits from the militiamen, the same ones who completely burned down the town's church. In this way, throughout the war, Antonio Puig remained living in Barcelona and was able to maintain his estate without any danger of being seized or burned by the militiamen.

The Industrias Metálicas Castelló factory, owned by my uncle Francesc Castelló, at the beginning of the war was moved from Guinardó to Denia Street in Sant Gervasi, Barcelona and placed under the orders of Josep Tarradellas, within the War Industries program of the Generalitat and called War Factory No. 7. It was dedicated before to the manufacture of lipsticks among others, and changed its production to ammunition and bullets, being one of the successes of the Generalitat's Comissió d'Industries de Guerra, led by Josep Tarradellas and despite the frequent sabotage that occurred. See TV3 documentary, "From lipstick to the Bullet". La Indústria de Guerra a Catalunya (1936-1939) | Associació Cultural Vibrant (historiavibrant.cat). Periodically, usually once a month, he visited the factory together with Tarradellas, a Soviet commissioner specializing in this type of production. My father, Joan Gallemí Claveria, worked as an Accountant and myself as an Administrative. I prepared the weekly wages of the 186 workers, most of them fortunate not to have to go to the front and receive a good salary and food stamps if we compare it with the hardships of the rest of the population. Thanks to my situation and the approval of my uncle Francesc Castelló, we were able to hire as essential in our industry and to avoid them going to the front, quite a few people who asked us, usually with serious family problems, I remember the two sisters Mañanas, Mª Luisa Martinez de Subirá, among others. When the war was over. my uncle was able to recover the industry to him and luckily with enough raw material to  be able to continue with the production of articles this time for civil use, such as lipsticks among others.


War Factory No. 7 and its ammunition production


                         Cartridge assembly, on the right side of the photo, Rosa Gallemí Balagué

  
                                         


Lathes of my uncles in War Factory No. 7 of the Generalitat
ORIGINS OF ANTONIO PUIG CASTELLO

Antonio Puig Castelló was the son of Simón Puig Vives and Emilia Castelló Carreras and at the beginning of his working life he was mainly dedicated to the business of recovering rubber, tires, etc. in Barcelona. He later worked as a Representative for several brands of colognes, until in 1922 he married Julia Planas Cabot. He even had to previously pawn some of his jewelry, like her engagement ring. It is at this moment that Antonio Puig Castelló had capital for the first time to develop his fledgling business. At that time, we can definitely say that he started his perfumery business in the workshop located on the ground floor of Calle Valencia, 293 in Barcelona, ​​a building owned by his wife Julia Planas Cabot and which he inherited from his father Mariano Planas Escubós, from Sant Martí. de Centelles in 1925, together with a building on Calle Roger de Flor, 100, a house on Calle Muntaner, land on Calle Caspe, all in Barcelona city and the Mas Salgot estate in San Martí de Centelles, in addition of an important portfolio of securities of the company Fabra and Coats. Despite all this important heritage, there were times when business did not go to Antonio Puig Castelló as he wished and he had economic difficulties. I remember the visits I used to make to what used to be called "Going to take the waters" at the Aix-les Thermes Spa with my aunt Elisa and Julia Planas. In my youth it was quite an adventure for me to travel by car from Barcelona to France at that time. I also remember the 4 children that Antonio and Julia had, the eldest Antonio Puig Planas, Mariano Puig Planas, Enrique Puig Planas and the still alive Josep Mª Puig Planas. From the last I have, as if it were today, the vision of his First Communion dress, during his visit to the Torre del Guinardo, the house of my uncles and on this day so marked for him. In the years that he was studying law, he went to my uncles' house at lunchtime, when he didn't have time to go to his own home.
                                      Josep Mª Puig 2nd from the left and his father 4th


ORIGINS OF MY FAMILLY AND HUSBAND

Photo of my grandmother Roser Sans Andreu, who returned from Mérida de Yucatan, and her daughter and aunt Elisa Balagué Sans, married to Francesc Castello Carreras, the two of them entering their 1,000 m2 estate at Carrer del Art, 98 in Barcelona. This farm owned by my grandmother and acquired with the inheritance of my deceased grandfather in Mexico, years later it ended up in the hands of the Puig family, later I will explain how. My grandmother Roser Sans and my aunt Elisa Balagué
Grandmother Roser's home, on Calle Art 98 As I mentioned before, when my grandmother Roser was widowed in Mexico, she returned to Barcelona with her 4 children, Maria my mother, Rosa, Salvador and Elisa. She remarried Ramón Castello Carreras, a mechanic with a workshop on Calle Bailén, Barcelona, ​​who moved to my grandmother Roser's home, on Calle Art 98. Ramón, who was not married, had two children, Fancesc and Antonio Castelló Carreras, with the same surnames, since they were the children of his first cousin. My grandmother Roser did not give them her surnames, but instead the ownership of the Art Street farm to her stepson, her son-in-law and my uncle Francesc. With her husband Ramón, my grandmother Roser had a son who died shortly after birth. Roser also had a sister, Conxita, mother of the founder of the La Santboiana Rugby Club, a gardener by profession and who created the gardens of the Maria Reina Pedralbes Church in Barcelona. Ramón Castelló Carreras, married to my grandmother Roser, had a sister, Emilia Castelló Carreras, mother of Antonio Puig Castelló, founder of Antonio Puig S.A. Therefore, my uncle Francesc was Antonio's first cousin. Ramón Castelló, grandfather of my uncle Francesc and with the same name as his father, had a sheet and towel factory in Sant Ginés de Vilassar. His brother had a son of the same name, Raymond Castelló, who emigrated to the United States and was Export Director of the firm "La Voz de su Amo", in Camden, Philadelphia. Grandfather Ramón also had two sons, one a painter and the other an engineer, with properties in Sant Ginés de Vilassar and who, under strange circumstances, were declared alienated. He also had two daughters, we called them Paquita and Papeta, who together with his cousin Raymond, owned the estate at Calle Sors, ​​23, in Gracia, Barcelona. called Casa Josep Castelló, a cataloged modernist building built in 1910. My parents and I lived before we got married, in the Principal of this estate and I remember that Josep Mª Puig Planas came regularly to collect the rent that he had to send to Raymond from the United States.
Raymond Castelló at his home in Camden, Philadelphia
Two Charcoal Female Nudes from 1901 painted by Josep Castelló

Oil painting by Josep Castelló i Carreras, painted in Sant Ginés de Vilassar in 1918
My parents' and maiden home on Calle Sors, ​​in Gracia, Barcelona, Josep Castelló House

                    

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog